The Toronto Railway Museum is open! Please click here for more information.     
Click Here to
join the TRHA
discussion group.

Powered by Blogger


The new TTC Streetcar is open for visits!

Click on each image for a closer look!

The TTC (Toronto Transit Commission) expects to take delivery of the first of a new series of streetcars in late 2012. A mock-up of the front half of the new light rail vehicle can now be visited at the following time and dates.

Date: November 12 through 15, 2011
Time: 10 a.m. to 7 p.m.
Location: 1138 Bathurst Street (TTC Hillcrest Facility)

Getting there by TTC:

Accessible shuttle buses will be running between Bathurst and St. Clair West stations. From Bathurst Station, you can also take the 7 Bathurst Bus northbound and exit at Bridgman Avenue. From St. Clair West Station, use the special shuttle bus (LRV Mock-up Public Display) or visit the trip planner at for additional routes. There is no public parking available on the site.

For more information:

To learn more about the new streetcars including lots of photos, click here.

Here are some milestones in the history of the TTC. From horses to electricity to the Red Rocket:
  • In 1861, horse drawn streetcars started carrying Toronto customers to their destinations.
  • In 1892, the first electric streetcars travelled Church Street.
  • The TTC was established in 1921 and the "Peter Witt" streetcar was introduced. Peter Witt streetcars carried passengers until 1963 when the last one was retired.
  • In 1938, the first Presidents' Conference Committee ("PCC" or "Red Rocket") streetcars entered service. The last PCC was retired in 1995.
  • Our streetcar system got new life when the abandonment program was cancelled in 1972.
  • In 1979, the first Canadian Light Rail Vehicles (CLRV) entered service.
  • In 1988, the first Articulated Light Rail Vehicles (ALRV) entered service.
Posting by Russ Milland


News and Events About Us Museum Collections History Links Contact Us Resources Home