The Toronto Railway Museum is open! Please click here for more information.     
Click Here to
join the TRHA
discussion group.

Powered by Blogger


Visiting the 1916 CPR North Toronto Station

Click on each pciture for a closer look!
On Saturday, August 22nd, Derek Boles (along with Ed Freeman) led a great Heritage Toronto walk entitled "Marlborough to Summerhill". A major stop on the walk was the 1916 CPR North
Toronto Station which has been restored as the Summerhill LCBO store which is Canada's largest liquor store. It is interesting that the LCBO store opened at this location in 1940. So the building has been selling alcohol far longer than it served as a train station, since the last regularly-scheduled passenger train stopped there in 1930. Union Station's opening in 1929 basically spelled the end for the North Toronto station.
At the upper left above, we find two pictures of the station from across Yonge Street as it is today. The 45 metre station tower was inspired by the Campanile of St. Mark's in Venice. At the right above and in the picture at the lower left below, we find Derek talking about the original 1884 North Toronto station site and also volunteer Diane showing a painting of a train at the station. Finally we have pictures of a couple of the shields found on the building, one of which was found and placed on the north wall of the station during its 2003 restoration.
Pictures of trains at this station when it was operational are quite rare. If you have any such pictures or know where they might be found, please let Derek Boles, our historian know, by sending us an e-mail at
Posting and pictures by Lance Gleich


News and Events About Us Museum Collections History Links Contact Us Resources Home