Historic Note: #4803 Donated to the City of Toronto by CN
Click on the image for a closer look!
Derek Boles, TRHA's historian, publishes a daily posting on the Toronto Railway Heritage Yahoo Group List. These postings document major railway oriented events that happened on that day of the year. One of today's items is as follows:
"August 26, 1984:
The Canadian National Great Lakes Region presents diesel-electric locomotive No. 4803 to Mayor Art Eggleton and the City of Toronto to mark the municipality's sesquicentennial. The GP7 was built by General Motors Diesel of London, Ontario in 1953 and operated all over Canada before being retired in 1975. Over 2700 units of this model were built in the U.S. and Canada and many of them continue to operate in secondary service. A brass plaque commemorating this event was also prepared and held by CN pending th e establishment of a Toronto railway museum. No. 4803 remained at Spadina roundhouse until its demolition in 1986 required the engine to be transferred to the CP John Street roundhouse, where it is now one of the principal displays, along with steam locomotive No. 6213.
If you wish to read these daily postings from Derek, simply join the Toronto Railway Heritage Yahoo Group List by clicking here.
Moving counter clockwise from the upper left, the images show:
- #4803 in action on the road in Edmonton, Alberta in June of 1970 - Photograph by Richard Yaremko from the Helmut G. Osterman collection
- #4803 in residence at the CN Spadina Roundhouse on May 20, 1985 by John Vincent
- #4803 in residence at the John St. Roundhouse by Russ Milland
- #4803 below the CN Tower in Roundhouse Park by Russ Milland
- #4803 in Roundhouse Park in front of the CP Roundhouse by Russ Milland
- Close up of the cab of #4803 by Russ Milland
Posting by Russ Milland; Pictures as attributed above