EXPORAIL's Maritime Railways #5's Restoration Completed!
Click on each image for a closer look!
The Maritime Railway was a 12 mile steam powered line which operated in Nova Scotia from 1887 until 1961. The line ran between the coal mines in Joggins and the Inter Colonial Railway (IRC) mainline at Maccan. The line began operation as the Joggins Railway, being incorporated in 1883, and opened for operation on November 3, 1887. The railway line operated until September 23rd, 1961 when it ceased operations for good. Two of the company's last three steam locomotives were sold for scrap but # 5, a ten wheeler, was sold to Exporail, the Canadian Railway Museum. Cosmetic restoration of the engine has just been completed and the pictures shown here are of the restored engine being moved into place at the museum.
Posting by Russ Milland; Pictures by Jean-Paul Viaud of Exporail