Recovering parts of the original roundhouse smoke jacks
When the John st Roundhouse stalls 1 to 11 were re-built, three original 1929 wooden smoke jacks were removed from stalls 1 to 3 and stored. Deterioration and lack of storage space has dictated they be destroyed. The video below documents an initiative undertaken recently by volunteers of the TRHC to save some of the artefact. As time allows, one jack will be rebuilt from the saved parts. In due course, we hope to install the smoke jack as an exhibit in stall 15 which can then be interpreted for the visiting public. Only the hood part inside the building will be restored.
Posting and video by Michael Guy