Historic Image: John St. Piggyback Terminal in 1963
Click on the image for a closer look!
In 1952, the CPR began a service to transport truck trailer between Montreal and Toronto on specially designed cars. This service was known as a piggyback service. These initial forms led to the much more sophisticated systems used today to move containers by ship, rail and road. These are called intermodal transportation systems.
In this photo from the CP Archives, we see the John St. Piggyback Yard in 1963.
For more about this service, visit Ray Kennedy's excellent Old Time Trains website by clicking here.
Posting by Russ Milland