Part 3 of 4: Valuable Donation to Toronto Railway Museum
Image #10 below shows Grand Trunk Railway 4-6-0 No. 990 at Union Station with an eastbound passenger train. Overhead is the York Street bridge with the station clock tower seen behind the railing. The train is positioned in the south trainshed that was added to the 1873 station during the 1890’s. Other interesting details include the pair of rail frogs on the ground and locomotive No. 368 on the far right. Both GTR and CPR had 4-4-0’s with this number. Perhaps someone with a better knowledge of locomotive design could identify which road.
Image #11 shows GTR 4-6-0 No 989, also with an eastbound passenger train that is somewhat shorter than in the previous view since the engine is positioned directly underneath the York Street bridge. The structure behind the locomotive on the right contained an elevator used to transport baggage and express from York Street down to track level. Nos. 989 and 990 were both built by the Grand Trunk in 1899. In 1923, they were acquired by Canadian National and renumbered 1558 and 1559. Both were scrapped in the 1930’s.
Image #12 depicts yet another eastbound passenger train at Union Station, this time in the north train shed. Barely visible on the right are the Union Station office tower and the Cyclorama that survived into the 1970’s as a parking garage. On the left is the Canadian/American Express building, which by this time had been acquired by GTR. Locomotive No. 577 is a 4-4-0 American.
Images #13 & 14 are Grand Trunk 2-6-0 Moguls Nos. 934 and 937. There is no information as to location. These locomotives were usually assigned to light freight service but could appear in any duty when the need arose. Both were built by GTR in 1900, became Canadian National engines, and were scrapped in the 1930’s.
Click on each image below for a closer look!
Click here to read the next posting in this series of 4
Posting by Derek Boles, TRHA Historian