Moving the Goderich, Ontario CPR Station!
Goderich, Ontario on the shore of Lake Huron has a long railway history. Wikipedia tells us:
"The Goderich-Exeter Railway (GEXR) presently operates freight service to Goderich. The line was originally built by the Buffalo and Lake Huron Railway in 1859. The railroad was soon taken over by the Grand Trunk Railway, later CN. In 1992, the line was sold to the GEXR. The Ontario West Shore Railway also started to build a railroad from Goderich to Kincardine in 1909, but the road was never completely open.
The CPR built a second railroad into Goderich in 1907. Passenger service ran until the 1960s. The entire line was abandoned in 1989. The trestle crossing over the Maitland River was converted through public fund-raising into a public walkway, offering views of the harbour, Maitland Valley golf course and the river valley itself. "
In the summer of 2013, Recently the CPR railway station was moved 250 metres to a new location closer to the shore of Lake Huron. The time-lapse video shown below (Videography by George Zoethout; Editing by Jeremy Penn) was shot over four days. It took Laurie McCulloch Building Moving (who also moved our steam locomtoive #6213 to Roundhouse Park) 3 months to prepare and move the building.
Click here to watch some additional videos of the move produced by Rob Boyce using inexpensive drone technology.Watch the short video at www.overyonderaerial.com to see Rob has been able to produce using this drone technology, including some railway shots at the end of the video on their website.
Posting by Russ Milland