Historical Photos: Toronto Rail Lands - September 1973
Click on the image for a closer look!
In January we shared historic photos from Dave Howard of the CRHA Niagara Division in previous postings which you can view by clicking here.
Today, we share another image of the Toronto Rail Lands that David Howard of that group took many years ago. In the photo, Dave points us to the following highlights of elements of the scene:
- It's September 1973, and the CN tower is just starting to rise.
- On the left of the image, you can see the access track which climbed from the yard level under the bridge to cross Front Street, and across Spadina Avenue.
- Note the "tell-tales" in the foreground, warning brakeman on top of box cars years ago of the low clearance under the bridge.
- Lanterns on switch stands have been replaced by reflective plates.
- Yes, that's a caboose on the left track of the yard... a small freight yard in downtown Toronto!
Posting by Russ Milland; Photo by David Howard